Weird coincidence with captured spy

This is will admit was a bit creepy
I got one of those junk mail letters from a psychic promising me riches, immediately I saw his name it reminded me of one of my paranormal cases at the derelict airbase (near Ramsey)
A spy had been caught at the airbase and executed later,he had the same name as this psychic although spelt slightly differently.
And the letter states that the psychic is from the Netherlands just as the pilot was.
Yes it could be that it is a common name there but what really spooked me out is the psychic, how creepy looking is he ? As if I would trust him !there is something very off about him,could he of used a more menacing photo ?
And if he truly was psychic he would know I never fall for those promising riches letters.



What is with his yellow eyes !! *shuddering*
Seriously does he think he is going to get any clients ?

Here is the info regarding the spy who was captured locally (info from wikipedia)

Josef Jakobs

This article is about the Second World War spy. For the First World War flying ace, seeJosef Jacobs.

Josef JakobsBorn30 June 1898

LuxembourgDied15 August 1941 (aged 43)

Tower of LondonEnglandCause of deathExecuted by a military firing squadResting placeSt Mary’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Kensal GreenLondonOccupationSpyCriminal chargeSection 1 of the Treachery Act 1940Criminal penaltyDeathAllegiance Nazi GermanyMotiveEspionage

Josef Jakobs (30 June 1898 – 15 August 1941) was a German spy and the last person to be executed at the Tower of London.[1] He was captured shortly after parachuting into the United Kingdom during the Second World War. Convicted of espionage under the Treachery Act 1940, Jakobs was shot by a military firing squad. He was not hanged because he was captured as an enemy combatant and not by the civilian police service.


Early lifeCapture and interrogationMilitary trial and executionReferencesExternal links

Early lifeEdit

Jakobs, who was a German citizen, was born in Luxembourg in 1898. During theFirst World War, he served in the German infantry, rising to the rank of Leutnant, in the 4th Foot Guards. In June 1940, ten months after the outbreak of the Second World War, Jakobs was drafted into the Wehrmacht as an Oberleutnant. However, when it was discovered that he had been imprisoned in a Swiss prison from 1934-37 for selling counterfeit gold, he was forced to resign his commission in the Wehrmacht.[2] Jakobs was demoted to a feldwebel (NCO) and placed in the Meteorologischen Dienst (meteorological service) of the Heer. Shortly afterwards, he also began working for the Abwehr, the intelligence department of the German Army.

Capture and interrogationEdit

On 31 January 1941, Jakobs was flown from Schiphol Airport in the Netherlandsto Ramsey in Huntingdonshire. He parachuted from the aircraft and landed in a field near Dove House Farm, but broke his ankle during the process. The following morning, Jakobs attracted the attention of two farmers, Charles Baldock and Harry Coulson, by firing his pistol into the air.[2] Baldock and Coulson notified members of the local Home Guard who quickly apprehended Jakobs.[2] He was caught still wearing his flying suit and carrying £500 in British currency, forged identity papers, a radio transmitter, and a German sausage.[1]

Jakobs was taken to Ramsey Police Station before being transferred to Cannon Row Police Station in London, where he gave a voluntary statement to Major T.A. Robertson of MI5.[2] Due to the poor condition of his ankle, Jakobs was transferred to Brixton Prison Infirmary for the night. The following day he was briefly interrogated by Lieutenant Colonel Stephens of MI5 at Camp 020 before being transferred to Dulwich Hospital where he remained for the next two months.[2]

Military trial and executionEdit

Jakobs’ court martial took place in front of a military tribunal at Duke of York’s Headquarters in Chelsea, London SW3, on 4–5 August 1941. The trial held wasin camera because the German agent had been apprehended in a highly classified intelligence operation known as the Double Cross System. The British were aware that Jakobs was coming because his arrival information had been passed on to MI5 by the Welsh nationalist and Abwehr double agent Arthur Owens.[3] After a two-day trial which involved hearing the testimony of eight witnesses, Jakobs was found guilty of spying and sentenced to death.[4]

Jakobs’s execution took place at the miniature rifle range in the grounds of theTower of London on 15 August 1941. He was seated blindfolded in a brownWindsor chair, due to his broken ankle. Eight soldiers from the Holding battalion of the Scots Guards, armed with .303 Lee–Enfields, took aim at a white cotton target (the approximate size of a matchbook) pinned over Jakobs’ heart. The squad fired in unison at 7:12 a.m. after being given a silent signal from Lieutenant-Colonel C.R. Gerard (Deputy Provost Marshal for London District). Jakobs died instantly. A subsequent postmortem examination found that one bullet had hit Jakobs in the head and the other seven had been on or around the marked target area.[5]

Following the execution, Jakobs’ body was buried in an unmarked grave at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic CemeteryKensal Green, London. The location used for Jakobs’ grave has since been re-used so the original grave site is difficult to find.[6]

All other German spies condemned to death in the UK during the Second World War were executed by hanging at HM Prison Wandsworth in South London. Jakobs was the last person to be executed at the Tower of London.

(Friday the 15th August 1941 at 7.15am.)

Josef Jakobs was the only spy to be executed in the Tower of London in the Second World War. At 8.20am on Saturday, 1 February, 1941, two farm-workers were walking across Dovehouse Farm, Ramsey Hollow, Huntingdonshire, when they heard what appeared to be three pistol shots. They found a man, Jakobs, lying on his back, covered by a camouflaged parachute – he had broken his leg. The man threw the weapon into a steel helmet, saying that he came from Hamburg and was in no war. But he had torn up a code and had buried an attache case under his body. The case contained a wireless transmitter that could work both short and long waves. Jakobs also had in his posses-sion a small torch with a flashing device, and a map that was marked in positions corresponding to the RAF aerodrome of Upwood and the satellite airfield of Warboys.
Jakob went before a court martial on 4-5 August, 1941, at the Duke of York Headquarters, Chelsea. He was found guilty and sentenced to death by shooting. He was executed in the Tower of London on 15 August, 1941.



The details in this section deal with the case of Josef Jakobs; the last person to be executed at the Tower of London. It is practically certain that Josef Jakobs will remain the last person executed at the Tower.

Court Members

Josef Jakobs’ courts-martial was convened by Lieutenant-General Sir Bertram N. Sergison-Brooke, KCVO, CB, CMG, DSO, commanding London District. The trial was held at Duke of Yorks HQ, Chelsea SW3, on 4th and 5th August 1941.

Major-General B.T. Wilson, CB, DSO.

Brig. F.A.M. Browning, DSO.
Col. E.W.S. Balfour, DSO, OBE, MC.
Lieu-Col. H.H. Cripps, DSO.
Maj. R.O.R. Kenyon-Slaney.

Waiting Members
Lieu-Col. E.D. Mackenzie, CMG, CVO, DSO.
Maj. R.C. Alexander.

C.L. Stirling, Esq, Deputy Judge Advocate General.

Maj. A. Marlowe, Judge Advocate General’s Office.

Capt. E.B.E. White, Barrister at Law.

Lieut. W.J. Thomas.

7653216 QMS. B.A. Balment, RAOC.

The Charge
Josef Jakobs was charged with “Committing treachery in that you at Ramsey in Huntingdonshire on the night of 31 January 1941/1 February 1941 descended by parachute with intent to help the enemy.”

Josef Jakobs pleaded not guilty to the charge.

As the trial was held during the war, the entire trial was conducted in camera.

The Witnesses

The 1st witness at the trial was Charles Baldock, who was signalled to by Jakobs firing his revolver in the air. Baldock went over to Jakobs who was lying on his back in the field at Dovehouse Farm, Ramsay Hollow. Baldock then sent his friend, who was walking with him, to fetch help while he remained with Jakobs. When cross-examined by the accused, Baldock stated that Jakobs was unable to move due to his injured leg.

The 2nd witness was Harry Coulson, who was walking with Charles Baldock when they were alerted by Jakobs shooting in the air. He then left Baldock with Jakobs, while he went to summon help from the local Home Guard.

The 3rd witness was James Harry Godfrey who was a farm labourer, and a member of the Ramsay Platoon Home Guard. When he was summoned by Coulson, he telephoned Ramsay Police Station. He then went with his commanding office, and Coulson, to the field at Dovehouse Farm. After binding Jakobs damaged right leg, he then search Jakobs with his commanding officer (Captain Newton), and his second-in-command (Lieutenant Curedale). They found between £400 and £500 in £1 notes. He also confirmed finding an attach case (exhibit 6), a flying suit (exhibit 7) and a wallet (exhibit 8).

The 4th witness was Captain William Henry Newton, who was the Office Commanding Ramsay Company, Home Guard. He confirmed that he had been telephone by Ramsay Police, and then went to Dovehouse Farm, where Jakobs was lying on the ground in civilian clothes under his flying suit (exhibit 7). When asked by Newton who he was, Jakobs stated that he had flown solo from Luxembourg. Jakobs was then taken by a horse and cart to Ramsay Police Station, where he was handed over to the police. At the Police Station, in Newtons presence, Jakobs opened his attach case (exhibit 6) which contained a wireless set, headphones, batteries, insulating wire and some sheets of paper.

The 5th witness was Sergeant Ernest Pottle, who was an Acting-Sergeant in the Huntingdonshire County Constabulary at Ramsay. He explained that he had received a telephone call, and had gone to Dovehouse Farm. He had then travelled back with Jakobs, and the Home Guard, to the Police Station at Ramsay.

The 6th witness was Detective Sergeant Thomas Oliver Mills, Huntingdonshire County Constabulary, based at Huntingdon. He met Jakobs at Ramsay Police Station. He examined a map (exhibit 9) found with Jakobs, and he noticed that there were pencil marks on the map near a large R.A.F Station, and a satellite R.A.F Station. Both these R.A.F stations were near where Jakobs had landed in the field at Dovehouse Farm. Later on, Det. Sgt. Mills conveyed Jakobs to New Scotland Yard in London, where he was handed over to Major Robinson and Mr. Marriott.

The 7th witness was John Hayes Marriott, who was a civil Assistant attached to the General Staff of the War Office. He confirmed receiving Jakobs from Mills, together with the items (exhibits 2-15 and exhibit 18) found with Jakobs. He then handed these items over to Lieutenant-Colonel Hinchley Cooke. He also confirmed that the wireless found with Jakobs was capable of transmitting from England to the continent.

The 8th witness was Lieutenant-Colonel William Edward Hinchley Cooke, OBE, who was on the General Staff of the War Office. He confirmed receiving the items from Mr. Marriott.

On 18 June 1941, he questioned Jakobs at New Scotland Yard. Jakobs provided a statement in response to Cookes questions (exhibit 17). On 24 July 1941, at 6.20pm, at Wandsworth Prison, Cooke charged Jakobs under section 1 of the Treachery Act 1940. Cooke, who spoke German, explained to Jakobs the legal procedure that would now follow. He also explained that an interpreter and a legal representative would be provided for Jakobs use at the courts-martial. Jakobs then asked if he would be shot or hanged if found guilty at his trial. Cooke replied that he would be shot, as the trial was being conducted by a military court. Jakobs replied that the others had been hanged. Cooke confirmed this, stating that because their trials had been conducted by civilian courts, they had received the normal civilian sentence.

In his statement to Hinchley Cooke, Jakobs stated that he was born in Luxembourg on 30 June 1898 of German parents. He served in the 4th Foot Guards during World War One from August 1914 to December 1914, when he was discharged for medical reasons. He then served from October 1916 until the end of the war in November 1918, as a Lieutenant in the 4th Foot Guards. He was initially called up in June 1940, but was quickly discharged as there were doubts raised about his civil status, as he had been imprisoned in Switzerland from 1935 to 1937. He admitted to being an officer in the Intelligence Section of the German General Staff. Jakobs went on to say that he had flown from Schipol Airport, Holland, and had parachuted during the night of 31 January-1 February 1941. He was the only passenger on the plane (which had a crew of five), and was intending to be dropped in the Peterborough area. He broke his right ankle, when he was getting out of the plane. He was dragged through the exit hole in the floor of the plane, bashing his right ankle on the side of the exit hole.

He further damaged his right leg on landing, and summoned help by firing shots into the air.

The courts-martial found that Jakobs was guilty, and he was sentenced to death by shooting. He petitioned the King, stating that he was a friend of England, and that he had come to this county to help her in her fight against Nazi Germany. He asked to be held until the end of the war, when he would then be able to prove his innocence of the charge.

Confirmation of Sentence

Following Jakobs conviction and sentencing, the Tower of London received a copy of the following letter:


To: The Constable of H.M. Tower of London. 13th August 1941.


I have the honour to acquaint you that JOSEF JAKOBS, an enemy alien, has been found guilty of an offence against the Treachery Act 1940 and has been sentenced to suffer death by being shot.

The said enemy alien has been attached to the Holding Battalion, Scots Guards for the purpose of punishment and the execution has been fixed to take place at H.M. Tower of London on Friday the 15th August 1941 at 7.15am.

Sgd. Sir Bertram N. Sergison-Brooke,

Lieutenant-General Commanding London District.

The Execution

Ten days later, Jakobs was taken to the old miniature .22 rifle range in the Tower’s grounds, where the First World War spies had been shot, and placed in a brown Windsor chair (due to his damaged right leg) and a white lint target was then pinned on his chest over his heart. At 7.12am on 15 August 1941, an eight-man firing squad composed from members of The Holding Battalion, Scots Guards, shot Joseph Jakobs. The execution was witnessed by Lieutenant-Colonel C.R. Gerard, the Deputy Provost Marshal for the London District.

Later that day, a post-mortem was performed by Bernard Spilsbury. One shot had hit Jakobs in the head, the other seven had been around the target area. An inquest held that afternoon decided that Jakobs had died of “Injuries to the heart caused by the passage of bullets”, and the inquest verdict was “Execution of judicial sentence of death in accordance with military law”. Jakobs was then taken from The Tower of London, and was buried in a civilian grave at St. Marys Roman Catholic Cemetery, Kensal Green, Northwest London. The grave was not marked, and the area used for Jakob’s grave has since been re-used.

It is almost certain that Josef Jakobs will be the last person to be executed at the Tower of London. All the other people convicted and executed under the Treachery Act 1940, and the High Treason Act 1351, were hanged at either Wandsworth or Pentonville Prisons.

The Exhibits
The follow table shows the list of exhibits at Jakob’s courts-martial.
1 Attorney-Generals Fiat allowing Jakobs to be tried under section one of the Treachery Act 1940.
2 Revolver.
3 Box of Ammunition.
4 Steel Helmet.
5 Parachute.
6 Attach case containing a wireless set.
7 Flying suit.
8 Wallet.
9 Map.
10 Ration Book (blank).
11 Registration Card (blank).
12 Registration Card (Completed).
13 Pieces of Torn Paper constituting a code wheel.
14 Hand Spade.
15 Torch.
16 Photostat copy of torn fragments constituting exhibit 13.
17 Statement by Jakobs to Cooke.
18 498 in £1 English Notes.
19 Statement by Jakobs to Major Robinson.


From “Shot in the Tower” by Leonard Sellers
pubished by Leo Cooper London ISBN 0 085052 553.5

From this web site

Many thanks go to Les Hunt and Tony Saint for the information





The map of our local area he was carrying


The chair he was executed in ,it is still at the Tower of London



click here

2 thoughts on “Weird coincidence with captured spy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s